Archive for the ‘Uncategorized’ Category
We did it again! The 3rd Annual Puppy POWERSTRIKE took place on Friday, Oct. 28th at Equinox in NYC! The event benefited Best Friends Animal Society and raised about $2,000. Class participants enjoyed a 1 and 1/2 hour class taught by myself, Ilaria Montagnani, Omar Sandoval, Brittany Brumfield, Liz LeFrois, and Sabrina Cohen. The purpose of the fundraiser is to raise awareness to the horrors of Puppy Mills. This year was extra special for me. I taught in honor of my beloved Emjay, my beautiful Russian Blue kitty who passed away on October 20th. I rescued Emjay from the streets of NYC and he was my faithful companion for over 18 years. He watched me choreograph many a POWERSTRIKE class! Thank you to all of you that donated your time, energy and money to this great cause. I thank you from the bottom of my heart. xo
We are doing it again! It is the 2nd Annual Puppy POWERSTRIKE! at Equinox in NYC! It is on Friday, September 24th at Columbus Circle Equinox from 6 – 7:30 pm. Register with me at Kellie@KellieRoman.com to save your spot! Space is limited. Suggested donation is $20.
It is also my first trip back to my beloved NYC since moving to Arizona in November. I am so excited to see friends, students, clients, and just revel in the energy that is NYC. I can’t wait!!! I am also teaching a variety of classes at Equinox. They are as follows:
Wed., Sept. 22nd – 50th/Bway – 6:30-7:15 Powerstrike!, 7:15-8:00 Body Sculpt
Fri., Sept. 24th – 44th/Lex – 12:15-1:00 Impact, 1:00-1:45 Body Conditioning
Sat., Sept. 25th – 92nd/Bway – 10:00-11:00 Powerstrike!, 11:00-12:00 Cardio Sculpt
I look forward to seeing you all! There is nothing like the energy of a NYC fitness class at Equinox!!! Come and get some!
Well, it seems that I should have made my list the Top 15 or 20. Friends and students have written in a few more and I just couldn’t resist posting them for you. I do promise that my next post will be my Top Faves. In the meantime, here are a few more Gym Pet Peeves:
1. People who come late to class and then squeezed themselves in: Unsafe and RUDE! Coming in more than 10 minutes late to class is just plain wrong. I know everyone has busy schedules, but coming in more than 10 minutes late is actually unsafe….you have missed the warm-up and any particular directions the instructor might have given. Then everyone has to rearrange themselves just for YOU! Seriously?
2. People who cannot follow the choreography in a class, but insist on being in the front row: I know that you want to see the instructor, but this really messes up the rest of the students. If I take another instructor’s class I generally like to stand in the 3rd or 4th row and to the side. I can still see the instructor, but I can also watch the people in the first two rows and follow them.
3. People who leave their dirty kleenex all around them when they take class….and then leave it there for others to pick up: If you are THAT sick, please don’t come to the gym! You are transferring your germs to all the equipment and risking getting us all sick. But if you must, PLEASE have some respect and throw away the dirties….and maybe wipe down the equipment that you just used.
4. People who use the locker right next to you when the entire locker room is empty: WHAT??? WHY? I once had this happen and I looked at the girl, like seriously? Her response was…”this is MY locker. I use it all the time.” Again…WHAT?
5. People who leave all their stuff in the middle of the locker room while they are showering: This is NOT your home! Please put your stuff in a locker or at least confine your stuff to a particular space. Which brings me to my next peeve….
6. People who leave their towels on the floor and everywhere else and expect someone else to pick them up: This falls under the category of “picking up your toys,” but goes one step further in the realm of rudeness. The maintenance ladies in the locker room are NOT your maids!!! Pick up your own dirty, wet towels and place them in the towel bins.
7. People who have long conversations on their phone in the locker room: The coffee shop is across the street. They serve great coffee and have tables, chairs, and wi-fi. Nuff said!
And the all time best one…..note, this was written in by a guy, but still applies to the ladies……
8. People who do NOT WASH THEIR HANDS after using the toilet….and then proceed to the gym floor: EW! GROSS! DISGUSTING! Need I say more?
Tune in soon for my faves…..I promise!
As you might recall, on Tuesday I posted the first five of my Top 10 Gym Pet Peeves. Here are numbers six through 10. Let me know if you have any to add.
6. People who stand right in front of the weight rack to do their set: Hey! Did you ever think that someone else might need those weights that you are blocking? Please move back so we can all have access to the weights instead of watching you admire yourself up close.
7. People who sit on or hog the machines in between sets and don’t let others work in: I’m sorry. Did you assume that you were the only one working out? Please have some gym etiquette and let others work in! And by the way, this includes trainers with their clients.
8. People who sit with their bare butt on the benches in the locker room: GROSS! This is NOT your home. Please put down a towel. Have you not heard of GERMS?
9. Women (sorry ladies) who stand in front of the mirror naked to dry their hair: I am far from being a prude, but at least put on some panties and a bra. We all don’t need to watch you practice your striptease act with the hairdryer. Please save that for home.
10. People who wear perfume/cologne to the gym: Have you heard of anti-perspirant/deoderant??? Save it for your date after the gym. In addition, some fragrances can cause people to get headaces, especially in small enclosed spaces like a group fitness room.
Well, that’s it for my top 10 peeves. I imagine that most of you can picture someone who fits at least one of these. Or maybe you fit one of the categories! Oh no! Nevertheless, I hope they all gave you a little giggle. Next week I will give you my top 10 favorite things about the gym….don’t want you thinking I dislike my job. I love it! Happy working out!
As you might assume, I LOVE working out! The gym is my second home…and sometimes my first. Whether I’m teaching class, training a client, or working out on my own, I enjoy observing people and their habits. After 20 years of being in the gym, there are some things that just get on my nerves. So, just for fun, I have compiled my Top 10 Gym Pet Peeves. Are any of these yours too? Here are the first five:
1. People who constantly talk (loudly) on their cell phone while “working out:” No, I don’t want to hear about your date last night or the blister on your third toe. Get off the phone and work out! If you really must be on the phone, please use your “bus” voice.
2. Men who grunt/scream while lifting: Do you really need attention that badly? We all know that you can exhale without making all that noise. Plus, you will be more efficient at actually lifting those weights.
3. People who sweat all over the machines or floor and don’t wipe it up: Ew! Gross!
4. People who use weights that are too heavy and don’t go Full Range of Motion: Sorry guys, but this is usually you and no, you are not impressing me. You actually would impress me if you dropped back on the poundage and worked out correctly. Plus, you would probably see better results.
5. People who don’t put away their equipment: Have some courtesy!!! The gym staff is not your wait staff or personal assistant. Did your mom not teach you to put away your toys?
Tune in later in the week for the next five Gym Pet Peeves.
If you are within a normal weight range, but have very low lean muscle and excess body fat, then YES! You are a “fat skinny” person. This “normal weight obesity” has recently been shown to affect 20-30% of US adults. You might not think this is a problem since you are still within a normal weight range for your height and gender. BUT, this excess body fat can be causing the same health risks that are seen in obese people – diabetes, high blood pressure, low “good” cholesterol (HDL), etc. So, what should you do even though you “look skinny?” Start by eating healthy meals, get at least 30 minutes of moderate exercise everyday and GET ON THOSE WEIGHTS!!! Lifting weights will help you increase your lean muscle mass which in turn will help you burn calories more efficiently, thereby lowering your excess body fat. Say “goodbye” to the fat skinny person and “hello” to a leaner and healthier you!!!
I just watched a commercial for “The Perfect Fit Button,” which is meant to increase the size of the waist ban on your pants. Seriously, people??? Do we not even care that we are becoming an obese nation? In the amount of time that it would take you to leave the couch, get your phone and your credit card, call the number on the screen, give them all your personal info….you could have gone for a 20 minute walk! So, how ’bout we spend less time and $$ on ridiculous gadgets and more time on moving our bodies? It’s really simple…eat a little less and move more! So, finish reading my blog and put on your sneakers and let’s go!!!
You are currently browsing the archives for the Uncategorized category.